It’s really easy to save energy in your house or flat. It’ll help the environment – and it can also save you an astonishing amount of money.
Did you know that in Scotland, about 12.6% of all greenhouse gas emissions come from people’s homes? And some of the main contributors are heating and electrical appliances?
Even some small changes will help Scotland meet its ambitious pledge to cut its greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050.
Energy saving tips
Here are some great energy-saving habits to get into:
- Lighting – switch off lights when you aren’t using them can save about £15 a year off your electricity bills.
- Stand-by – turn off appliances when you’re not using them and you’ll save up to 240kg of CO2 per year.
- Shower time – if you spend even 1 minute less in the shower it can help save £10 on your energy bills each year.
- Heating – turn down your heating by just 1 degree celsius and it can save 260kg CO2 per year.
Energy saving tools
- Why not try out this Carbon Footprint calculator from WWF to see how much carbon your lifestyle creates – and what you can change for the better!
- The Energy Saving Trust and Greener Scotland also have some great tips and ideas.