Saving energy and water in halls is not just doable but it is really easy to do.
And we are here to help you do so.
Check out some of our handy tips below:
Top 10 tips to help you conserve energy and water
- Switch off lights in empty rooms
- Turn your TV, computer and other electronics completely off; using the standby function uses energy.
- If you find your room is too hot, turn it down before you open a window. And maybe take a layer off?
- Always dress appropriately for the time of year, wear a sweater if you are cold instead of turning the heating up. Wearing several thin layers help trap body heat,
- Wait until you have a full load before using your washing machine and use a lower washing temperature (between 30 -40oC)
- Watch out for overfilling the kettle. Boiling just enough water will save energy and it also means less waiting for your cuppa.
- Cook with lids on pans and match ring size to saucepan size
- Cook together with your flatmates so that you limit the amount of energy usage. Sharing the oven can make cooking more efficient, but also buying in bulk is cheaper, reduces packaging and waste
- Try limit your shower under five minutes. Shower may use less water than bath but it surely uses a lot more energy.
- Don’t run the water tab when you’re washing dishes or brushing your teeth.
For more tricks on how to reduce your energy and water consumption, follow our Heriot-Watt Green Halls Facebook page. HW Green Halls will also run competitions throughout the year between halls of residences for the chance to win £250 worth of pizza for your halls, and there will also be a photo competition where you can win more awesome prizes! Prizes everywhere!!
Visit our Green Halls page for more information.